Depending on the method of registration subject to the laws of the state, a license for residence can be allowed for 1 or for 5 years. As in most EU countries, the consequence of obtaining permanent residence status is the citizenship of one of the EU countries. But in order to obtain the status of a permanent resident, it is necessary to statistically update the license for living.
List of the main required documents:
- Valid passport from other country;
- Document that confirm that you are legal entity;
- Bank statement confirming the availability of funds for living. Livelihood is 1 minimum monthly wage for one month. It could be an employment contract;
- Confirmation of criminal record;
- Health insurance policy in Lithuania (insurance amount – 6000 euros. You do not need health insurance if you pay or will pay a fixed amount of social insurance contributions;
- Residence document. A document confirming that you have a dwelling in which you intend to declare your place of residence and in which the living area for each adult who has declared his place of residence is at least 7 square meters.
There are no living space requirements if your employer employs you under an employment contract for regular international travel or if your employer sends you to work in another European Union country;
- Receipt of payment of the state fee for the consideration of documents;
- And further documents depending on the basis.
At the beginning of consideration of an application for the issuance of a temporary residence allow, a person from another country who wants to receive it must pay a state fee of 120 euros or 240 euros for urgent registration. If you refuse to pay the state fee, this plot is canceled.
What to do when the certificate has expired?
License must be submitted at least 2 months before the expiration of the license. If you want to apply for a change of passport, you need to do it at least 1 month in advance, but no earlier than 4 months before the end of the passport (with all documents). This whole procedure may change from the beginning of 2023, if this happens, we will provide information later.
Benefits of acquiring a residence permit
- Geographic location. Lithuania is located on the border with Belarus, Poland and is washed by the Baltic Sea. Excellent ferry service to Sweden, Germany;
- Freedom of movement. The owner of a residence allow can move freely and stay in the countries of the European Union and the Schengen area for no more than 90 days within 180 days;
- Medical service. Free service and assistance in public medical institutions;
- Issuance of visas for relatives. Possibility to independently issue an invitation for acquiring a visa to relatives and other persons;
- Simplified acquiring of visas to Australia, Great Britain, USA, and other countries;
- Official right to work in Lithuania;
- Become a full-fledged resident of Lithuania – after living for 5 years, the opportunity to acquire a permanent residence:
In Lithuania, there are several grounds for acquiring a residence permit in Lithuania. Main thing of obtaining a temporary allow may be:
- Business in Lithuania;
- Family reunification;
- Education in lithuanian university;
- Marriage lithuanian man/women.
Permit for residence for an entrepreneur based on business.
- This method allows you to apply for a residence allow if:
- The company conducts legal activities in accordance with the business plan for at least half a year before completing an application for a residence allow;
- The equity capital of the company is at least 28,000 euros, of which at least 14,000 euros are invested by 1 shareholder and a foreign person is the head of this enterprise, a member of a collegial management or supervisory body, a participant with the right to conclude transactions on behalf of the enterprise, or a shareholder of a joint-stock company or a closed joint-stock company, owning shares of the company, the nominal value of which is not less than 1/3 of the authorized capital of this company, on the basis of ownership rights;
- The company employs citizens of the Republic of Lithuania, the European Union or foreigners permanently residing in the Republic of Lithuania. The total salary of employees must be at least twice the average monthly salary in Lithuania.
The basis for getting a type of residence in Lithuania is a signed contract with workers at least for 12 months and an allow or decision received from the employment service.
If you are a citizen of a third country (a state that is not a member of the European Union or the European Free Trade Association) or a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania who has not resided in any country of the European Union since 2004 and if a member of your family lives in country, you can come and get a temporary type of living. The type of license for living in the country is issued for 12 months, with the possibility of renewal for two years.
Non-citizen also can acquire residence allow on the basis of studying in Lithuania. If you are a student, teacher or researcher and intend to stay in Lithuania for more than a 12 month, you need to apply for a temporary allow (usually it is issued for one year, for researchers and teachers – for 2 years, later it can be changed). It will be necessary to provide a signed contract with an educational institution in Lithuania.